2017-04-20 / Front Page
Man gave co-worker THC laced chocolate, police say
The 20-year-old woman who police say took the candy March 12 was unaware it was a cannabis edible and experienced shortness of breath, confusion and disorientation, according to a report from the Thousand Oaks Police Department.
She was unable to finish her shift at Thousand Wok on Moorpark Road near Brazil Street and had to be taken by a family member to an unidentified medical facility for treatment, police said.
“She had no idea, when she starting having adverse effects, of what she’d consumed,” Dep. Jaimie Gomez said. “When I spoke to her a few days later, she was doing fine.”
Based on their investigation, police determined that Duong Che, 36, gave the victim the food containing THC without her knowledge. THC, the psychoactive chemical found in marijuana, can cause more than a physical reaction, the deputy said.
“Just because it’s marijuana and a lot of people use it via prescription and whatnot, if the person has never consumed marijuana or other drugs or, especially, takes a drug they’re not aware of, they wouldn’t be prepared for the effect,” Gomez said.
And if a person is given a substance without their knowledge, they could proceed to put others in danger, for example, by getting behind the wheel of a car, he said.
Che was arrested April 12 as he arrived at work in Thousand Oaks. A cannabis chocolate bar and 70 pills of ecstasy were found in his car, police said.
Che is scheduled to be arraigned April 27 on charges of poisoning and illegal drug sales.
He is currently free on $70,000 bail.