2012-03-01 / Front Page

17 apply to fill Gillette’s vacant seat

Council will interview applicants Tuesday

Seventeen people have submitted applications to replace Dennis Gillette on the Thousand Oaks City Council, a city spokesperson said Wednesday.

The two-page applications had to be hand-delivered to the city clerk’s office by 5 p.m. Feb. 29. No postmarks, faxes or emails were accepted.

The applicants will be interviewed by the four remaining council members during their regularly scheduled meeting on Tues., March 6. The meeting begins at 6 p.m. at city hall. The council, if it’s able to form a consensus, is expected to make its appointment that night.

Last week the council voted 3-1 to fill Gillette’s recently vacated seat by appointing someone to serve the remaining 33 months on his four-year term rather than holding a special election to coincide with the city election set for November. Councilmember Claudia Bill-de la Peña dissented.

Gillette announced in February that he was retiring so he could focus on his battle with diabetes.

The names of the applicants will be made available to the public sometime today, according to city spokesperson Andrew Powers. Powers said the 17 names should be posted on the city’s website (www.toaks.org) by the early afternoon.

During the March 6 meeting, each candidate will be interviewed by the council while the other candidates wait outside. Each candidate will have the opportunity to make a three-minute opening statement.

“After that the council will ask questions. (There’s) no time limit set for that,” Powers said.

After the interviews each council member will pick their top three candidates for the purpose of deliberation. If a consensus is reached, a motion to appoint the council member will be made and the council will adopt a formal resolution.

And if they can’t reach a consensus?

“(They) have a host of options to consider, ranging from continuing the appointment process to starting a new appointment process,” Powers said.

Kyle Jorrey

Return to top