2011-07-07 / Dining & Entertainment
History of Jungleland explored in pictures
Author will appear at Stagecoach Inn
Jeffrey Maulhardt will sign copies of his new pictorial history book, “Jungleland,” from 1 to 4 p.m. Sat., July 16 at the Stagecoach Inn Museum, 51 S. Ventu Park Road, Newbury Park.
The book contains more than 200 vintage photographs of former exotic animal attraction Jungleland, an early Thousand Oaks landmark.
In 1926 animal attendant Louis Goebel bought five lots for $50 as a home for his seven African lions in a then sparsely populated area of Ventura County. By 1929 Goebel added exotic birds and other animals to what became a roadside attraction.
Goebel’s Lion Farm was renamed World Jungle Compound, and the park maintained Hollywood ties, renting animals and hosting scenes for movies and TV shows. Eventually the site was called Jungleland.
Plans to expand and promote the park fizzled. The park was closed in 1969, and 1,800 animals were sold at auction.
The book can be purchased through Arcadia Publishing at ( 888) 313- 2665 or online at www.arcadiapublishing.com.